Friday, July 4, 2008

Family First

Taken from The Star - Friday July 4, 2008

Father wants to sell kidney

GEORGE TOWN: A man who claims he was declared a bankrupt for a car loan he never took is resorting to a desperate measure – he wants to sell his kidney.

“I hope someone will buy my kidney at a reasonable price soon, so I can use the money to start a small business to feed my family,” said the man, who only wanted to be known as Murali.

The father of four said his wife and his four children, aged between five and 14, had already cried their hearts out over his decision.

“They were sad and they cried, but I don’t have any other choice. It’s all I’ve got,” he said.


“Our life has been difficult. With a chronic asthma, I cannot work. Three of my children are still in school.

He claimed that his situation was worsened by the bankruptcy order issued to him after someone unknown to him had used his identification document which he had lost some time ago to acquire a RM36,000 loan.

“To make the situation worse, my bank account was frozen, and I cannot take any loan or even register a business with the Malaysian Companies Commission (SSM).” he said.

Murali said he did not put a price on his kidney, but hoped the offer would be reasonable and worth it.
He said although he had chronic asthma, a medical check-up confirmed that his kidneys were in good condition.

Murali now supports his family with the RM368 monthly pension from the Social Security Organisation (Socso) he received since he quit his job in 2005, and RM100 for each of his children, given by the Welfare Department, since last year.

He also explained that he had approached the media about his plan to sell his kidney so that he could find a buyer.

He said it was not meant to win the public’s sympathy.

“I really hope someone will be interested to buy my kidney. I don’t care if the buyer is a local or foreigner, as long as I can sell it, so my family and I can continue with our lives,” he said.

Murali can be reached at 014-6002714. – Bernama

No comments: